What a view. . .

What a view. . .

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Kenwood KA-3500 Volume Control

I really like the vintage Kenwood KA-3500 amplifier I use as my home stereo.  It sounds great and the brushed aluminum front has a sweet retro style.  However, whenever watching movies or listening to music, I'd always find myself loath to get up to adjust the volume.  The solution?  Replace the volume circuit of the original amplifier with a digital volume control circuit that could be controlled via a remote control or a rotary encoder.

The Arduino Micro is the computing brains of the operation.  It handles decoding/interrupts from a rotary encoder and an IR sensor.  It also interfaces with the audiophile grade Burr-Brown OP2311 digital volume control driver and the LED volume display board.  Writing the embedded C and worrying about Gray Codes, interrupts, code efficiency, and low-level bit handling was an interesting diversion from what I normally think about at work.

I also designed my own PCBs using CadSoft Eagle.  For someone with little experience in board design (this guy) this was a tedious but rewarding task.  I paid special attention to the board layout, followed data sheet suggestions, and made sure to keep the digital signals away from the line-level audio signals.  The effort paid off as the circuit is dead quiet.  Next up?  Wideband RF circuit designs (yeah right)!


Finished Product

Front of Amplifier With New LED Volume Indicator
Inside of Amplifier
Volume control circuit is mounted to the heatsink on the bottom left
Volume Control Circuit (1)
Volume Control Circuit (2)


Code




Artwork


Volume Control Board

LED Volume Board

Top Board Masks



Board CAD (Eagle) Files



Bill Of Materials (BOM)




No comments:

Post a Comment